Tartan Leotard

contemporary dance (modern dance) in Scotland

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Monday Classes

No need for a warm-up as I had to powerwalk to class; my car being under intensive care at the garage. I’m still suffering a bit from the improv workshop on Sunday! 9 times out of 10 there’s no floor work in the Cunningham-based class but just my luck to have to pivot on a somewhat colourful and swollen knee. We have to suffer from our art but managed to cheat by taking it on the calf muscle. Not my day, I got picked on for having Swan Lake arms – good enough for Markova but I was supposed to do power not grace. Still the arabesques are improving and I just love triplets, I reckon my body rhythms work in threes (perhaps because I was born on the third day of the 3rd quarter?). Still a great class as always and as the numbers were down a little more room to move in Studio 2. It’s a very international class (Cuba to Singapore) though I think the girls at the back struggle with English a bit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

OK, there's no way I can get it right! Instead of Swan Lake arms they're too stiff now - what Alan Greig would call blood-donor arms. Chasses seem to be a bit dodgy too. Still rest of it seemed OK and got complemented on my placement and the pretty Italian girl likes my triplets so a bit of a boost to the self-confidence.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Boy was I flying on monday! Regular teacher is performing as part of the new moves/new territories festival in Glasgow http://www.newmoves.co.uk/ with the Paragon Ensemble

Her replacement is a brilliant teacher though pretty high energy. After the week from hell it's what I needed. I was running out of studio on the crossing sequences!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Superb class last night - I just don't want the term to end. The class gels so well (especially minus some individuals) which in itself encourages you to do well. Feeling the effects of the day before's 6hr workshop though - clicky hip is a bit worrying. (note - must see physio!)

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home